PNR: PNR is an abbreviation for Passenger Name Record. In the context of Indian Railway Reservation System, it is a unique ten digit number that is associated with a ticket.
This unique number is automatically generated by Computer Reservation System (CRS) which is like an indexing number in the database where the details of the passenger or group of passengers are stored.
This database details also include important information about the passenger’s current reservation status which continuously get updated with every cancellation if the ticket is unreserved.
How to find PNR number on the ticket? PNR number is generally printed at the top left corner of the printed tickets (tickets that are taken from railway station booking window). In case of the E – Ticket (tickets that are booked online or through IRCTC website), it is mentioned at the top in the separate cell.
To check ticket reservation status: Follow the below steps.
- Through SMS: You can check reservation status of your ticket through mobile by sending SMS to any of these numbers. These numbers are 54959, 139, 5676747 and 57886.
PNR <10-digit PNR number> to 5676747
PNR <10-digit PNR Number> to 54959
PNR <10-digit PNR Number> to 139
IRPNR <10-digit PNR Number> to 57886
- Through Call: Dial 139 and talk to an operator.
- Online Websites: Indian Railways – The link is provided below. You can easily navigate by clicking below link.
Check Your IRCTC PNR Status
Indian Railway Acronyms and Abbreviations:
- SL – Sleeper Class
- 3A – AC 3 Tier
- 3 E – AC 3 Tier Economy
- 2S – Second Sitting
- 2A – AC 2-tier sleeper
- 1A – First class AC
- GN – General Quota
- DF – Defence Quota
- CK – Tatkal Quota
- FC – First class
- SS – Travelling Alone Female Quota (above 45 Year) / Senior Citizen Quota
- LD – Ladies Quota
- HP – Physically Handicapped Quota
- WL: WL is the short name for Wait List
- RAC: Reservation Against Cancellation
Process to Check your IRCTC PNR Status:
- Click the above link which will re-direct you to official page of Indian railway – PNR Status – Click Here
- A screen will appear as below:
- Click on IRCTC PNR Status – the screen will be as shown below:
- Enter your PNR number and the CAPTCHA code which is shown on the screen and then click get status.
- That’s it your PNR Status will be shown on your screen.
- If you have entered wrong PNR number, it will show error( it is shown below as a screen shot).
- You are done with your Process.
Have a safe journey!!!